Sunday, May 2, 2010

location

"I am the painter of space...to paint space, I must be in position. I must be in space." -Yves Klein

The Hirshhorn Museum on DC is having a Yves Klein retrospective. They are using twitter, facebook and flickr to promote his process and projects. His work already had an ephemeral transient nature, so I guess the random posts and links are a good way to introduce his work to a different generation. Conceptual work is tough to retrospect in space. Here is a guy who jumped out of a window or didn't, my history is fuzzy, but the museum will show the artifact. A picture, or a picture with a long description. I am not sure if this method of social media will work, but as a way to roll out content for a static museum show, it is very promising to locate work in a contemporary format without changing the work.

I am really intrigued by location. It is physical, mental, conceptual and relational. What city fits you or do you fit into a city? Is your palm a road map to your next pre-determined space? How do you relate to the next person, can you get close or is there distance? Can you locate your practice of making so you make your work as oppose to being told what to make? Can space control you?
I leave you with a quote from Damien Hirst during an interview with William Furlong (NY Times article). "The reason I got to the top, because the top wasn't very high." Yes, a very one-liner statement. Location is attainable from the space you create ...and that is my May affirmation to Tickles.

No comments:

Post a Comment